ST. ANDREW’S SOCIETY OF BALTIMORE
The Society was formed in 1806 as a benevolent and charitable organization to assist newly-arrived Scots in the area. The following is from the Preface to the original constitution:
“When people fall into misfortune, in any part of the world remote from the place of their nativity, it is natural for them to make their distress known to those originally from the same country; the presumption in this case is that the love of the native soil, which is inseparable from every human breast, will make their countrymen more ready than others to administer to their relief; and that possibly some may be found among them with whom they are connected by blood, or who know something of their relations.
For these reasons the natives of Scotland, and those descended of Scotch parentage in the City of Baltimore, have formed themselves into a Charitable Society, the principal design of which is to raise and keep a sum of money in readiness for the above benevolent purpose.”
While the need for this type of help has diminished, the Society is still dedicated to this principal. In 1963, the St. Andrew’s Society Foundation was established to administer a program for support for persons of Scottish ancestry, for the preservation of our heritage, and for a scholarship program.
The Society is also dedicated to presenting and maintaining Scottish traditions and arts throughout the area. Our members keep alive the feeling of Scottish life and heritage in Maryland and the surrounding states. All are united in a common bond of dedication for high visibility for Scottish spirit and history.
(Paul Douglas, Burns’ Nicht Supper 2012)